Sarah’s Rap: I am always looking for way to improve the nutritional value and reduce sugar content of the snacks and breakfasts which my kids consume. This recipe is their new favorite and a great replacement for the more sugar-laden store varieties of granola. Another bonus? When you bake it your house will smell so good, you’ll wish you could make it every day!
Gluten-free Blueberry Vanilla Granola
- 4 cups old-fashioned gluten-free oats
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup golden ground flax seed
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 bag freeze-dried, unsweetened blueberries (approx 1.2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds (optional)
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix oats, coconut oil, honey/syrup, flax seed, vanilla extract and sea salt. Add dried blueberries and sliced almonds, if using. Stir until well blended.
Put granola mixture on a half-sheet pan and bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown, flipping with a spatula every 10 minutes.
Cool completely and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks in a cool, dry place. Granola will get crispy as it cools.
This granola is excellent as a dry snack, over yogurt or with your favorite milk.